Significance of the Name


My Blog’s name is a tribute to my Dad & my Husband. My Dad because he used to sing the song to me, "How 'd You Like to Swing on a Star?" It's about reaching for your dreams, you can stay where you are & be safe OR YOU CAN SWING ON STAR. Stars also refer to a difficult night just after my husband died. I was talking to him (I often do.) & said how I missed his "I Love You's". That night he gave me a dream... a gorgeous, bright blue night sky filled with thousands of stars, in the middle the stars formed an "I LOVE YOU"....such a gift on so many levels.

So "follow your own path, & don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Penny Saving Inspiration Day....

So much to do and time is flying by.....The one thing I have done is decide on my Christmas wrap motif and since we are all trying to watch our pennies these days I decided to do brown craft wrap paper. 


You all know by now how I feel about the importance of your gift wrap presentation. It's like another gift to show how special you think the person is. It is, for me an integral part of the gift...the gift presentation...it shows you gave just a little more to make it special for them. So this year instead of buying rolls of beautiful Christmas wrapping paper this year....which is one of my favorite things to pick out, I am going to use brown craft paper.     We are all trying to watch our pennies these days. Why not just use the good ole brown wrap and add repurposed and vintage items to my brown palette.


So off to the web and Pinterest for ideas. Having brown craft paper is like having a blank canvas to work from...how fun! I thought I'd share some of the lovely brain storming ideas I found.  These people have done some lovely, creative ideas for us to inspire our own versions....So let the inspirations begin......


 Babble.com via Pinterst

love vintage lace or fabric. I may just use a strip a fabric across the center of the brown craft paper.
 Flickr via Pinterest

a little tinsel, a glittered star on a round gift tag with decoupaged sheet music....
 Little Birdie Secrets Blog via Pinterest

could do this with sheet music or fabric, lace or an old doily....



 Two Shades of Pink blog via Pinterest


Oh just noticed there is a doily on the one in the back....
 The Inspired Room blog via Pinterest


We could even do this on brown gift bags....
 2 Gypsy Girls via Pinterest

a bow made from interesting pieces with seam binding....love it!


all would look great on craft paper...
Reuse left over strips of your last years rolls!
Outside the Workroom Blog via Pinterest


Once again I continue to use pine and pinecones...back yard scavenging!
Abrakadeborah blog via pinterest


Twine....there is a really trendy penny safer
Shorely Chic blog via pinterest


How cute to use ribbon around brown paper gift bags!

Brown looks so pretty here, maybe a touch of gold somewhere to make it more festive....


with red, fun......

Paper hole punch, twine,  a little gold glam and a plain gift tag...love it!


This is my Ta Daaa.....
Don't you love it...vintage lace and piece of jewelry and it looks so charming!


So off I went to scavenge my home for things to use......here is some of what I found....
See my vintage tinsel!!!!! I found it in a bunch of junk at a flea market...I have tons of for about $3.00....that was a score! I found books of old school music books on another trip.....fun!
 The ribbon I bought yesterday at Michaels...major sale like 40 or 60% off.

I'll post how my packages turned out later when I come up from all the Christmas crazies. Hope this has helped get your creative juices going.  I may be short on blog posts for awhile as I have to 2 art commissions due and a gift I am trying to make before Christmas including everything else and a job....wish me luck. 

Remember what this season really means and everyday make a little Merry Christmas in some way for yourself!

Please enjoy these links:

8 comments:

  1. Oh Shari, I love all of these, so so so pretty, keep inspiring girl, I so am enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelia, I am so happy you are enjoying my inspirations....that's a gift to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wrap my gifts in brown paper then rubber stamp on them. Wonderful inspiration on what to do with brown wapping paper. Will by your newest follower, I hope you will stop by to visit us, Laura - Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using brown kraft paper this year too, tied up with red, white and black string with paper rosettes for tags. Simple and CHEAP! Love all the lovely ideas you've posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful ideas!! Thanks for sharing!! I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love EVERY single pretty package, Shari! And your idea to use a vintage doily and jewel...just gorgeous! I can't wait to see what else you come with.

    Thanks for joining Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shari, what a lovely selection of decorations for Christmas wrapping. Thanks so much for sharing and Merry Christmas. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete